Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Good Samaritan, a Lesson on Mercy

Where mercy, love, and pity dwell, there God is dwelling too. 
William Blake 


This topic will be a challenge for me, but at the same time all too familiar.  Why?  Glad you asked.  Because it is one I have to work on constantly.  Given my background, I have been immersed in justice.  I have been in the law enforcement community for a long time, to include over 2 decades of being in the military.  I have had my share of discussions on fair judgement, just rewards, and so on.  But, mercy...well, I have heard many times mercy is for the weak.  If that is true, I hope I am the weakest individual around.  I need mercy myself daily.  I make my share of mistakes, oh brother!  

So, with my extensive experience on being unmerciful, let me ask a few questions and see if you are anywhere in my ballpark.  Are you a perfectionist?  Do you consider what you do as the standard, or above standard?  Do you expect others to work at least as hard as you?  If others don't perform at your level, how do you feel about them?  Are they slackers, codependent, nonworking individuals?  If you make mistakes, do you get really upset?  Do you tend to take your issues out on others?  Are you hypersensitive about how others feel about your performance at work, or play, or anywhere else, for that matter? These are all questions that will lead you right back to mercy.

The Importance of Mercy

"And Jesus answering said, A certain [man] went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded [him], and departed, leaving [him] half dead.  And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.  And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked [on him], and passed by on the other side."

"But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion [on him].  And went to [him], and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.  And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave [them] to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee."
Luke 10:30-35

Jesus often taught his most poignant lessons in parable form.  The most memorable lesson on mercy is probably the parable of the good Samaritan in Luke 10.  The real twist in this story is the history of the people.  Samaritans and Jews were like oil and water; they never mixed.  They despised each other.  To the Jews, the Samaritans were unbelievers, and to the Samaritans, the Jews were intolerant and unforgiving.  But in this lesson, a Samaritan comes to the aid of a Jew by binding his wounds, transporting him to an inn, and paying for his care until his (the Samaritan's) return.  This is an amazing act of mercy towards another by one that was supposed to be outside the family of God, while leaders of the Jewish faith passed this time of need by.

Later, near the end of his ministry, Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and said;

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cumin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23


What Jesus was trying to convey was that the Scribes and Pharisees were the spiritual rulers of that time, yet they were not acting like the Godly men they were called to be. Mercy in this passage simply means to have kindness or good will towards the miserable and the afflicted, joined with a desire to help them (Strong's definition for G1656).  But these leaders were more interested in their power, greed, and looking holy rather than ministering to their people.   They were instead quick to judge and slow in patience and forgiveness

It can be argued that both of these examples, the Pharisees and the Samaritan passages, were examples of those involved who failed to allow God's mercy that dwelled in them to work; the Pharisees, the priest, and the Levite (one of the tribe of Levi, traditionally, was given to the priesthood).  At the end of this parable, Jesus asked:

"Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?"  He answered his own question by saying "He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise" (Luke 10:36-37).

Many times we think that God is the only one that is licensed to show mercy from his throne.  Indeed God's throne is called the Mercy Seat, but as we have already learned, His Mercy Seat is within us as well as God dwells within us.  Therefore, it is our responsibility to practice mercy as well.   It may be asked, if we beg God to have mercy on us, and we are to be like Him, a reflection of our Father, how then can we not practice mercy ourselves?

The Practical Application of Mercy

As I opened this topic for consideration, I asked several questions.  You will notice all of them pertained to our own thought processes.  Mercy starts with God's Holy Spirit working in us with mercy.  We then need to realize that the only way to be effective in this area is to allow God's mercy to work in us; then it can work around us as well.  As an example, a perfectionist will be the hardest on him- or herself.  As a perfectionist, I understand this issue.  I need to remember that there is none perfect other than Christ, that we are called to be perfect, yes, but with God's grace, not our own.  That, the only way to obtain perfection...God's perfection...is by God and God alone. 

For I am saved by Grace, and this not of myself.  It is a gift of God (Ephesians 2:8)!  I need to relax, and let God do His work.  I need to remember that those I deal with are at their own level of becoming perfected, that God's time frame for their perfection will not coincide with mine.  I need to remember that judging myself or others should not be based on what I do or think, but what God does.  I need to remember that when someone lets me down, I need to rethink my priorities and rearrange them to meet with mercy, understanding, peace, love and gentle kindness. 

How many of us wake up in the morning with the inspiration to go out into the world to screw with others, just because.  I don't.  You don't.  It is safe to say no one gets up with evil intentions for that day.  Mistakes will be made, and corrections will be made.  In the end, it is up to God and me as to where the balance lies in my life.  And so it is with us all.  If we are merciful towards ourselves, we will then be more apt to be merciful towards others.  As we pray for ourselves and others, let us remember that we all are sinners, but with God's loving grace and mercy, we can all be victors and joint heirs with Christ to the throne of Heaven...God's Mercy Seat!

Here are some verses to consider for your personal quiet time this week on Mercy.

Titus 3:5-6                     Hebrews 4:16
James 2:13                     James 3:17
1Peter 1:3                       Jude 1:21
Romans 12:4-12

2 comments:

  1. I catch myself being prejudicial and judgmental of others all the time. You have a saying which is wonderful, that "you don't know the hell that person is going through," I like that, and will try to remember that the next time I unmercifully pass judgment on someone. Here are some short verses taken from "The Treasure Chest" by Charles L. Wallis on "Criticism."

    The question is not what a man can scorn,
    or disparage, or find fault with,
    but what he can love, and value, and appreciate.
    John Ruskin

    He has the right to criticize who has the heart to help. Abraham Lincoln

    In men whom men condemn as ill
    I find so much of goodness still,
    In men whom men pronounce divine
    I find so much of sin and blot,
    I do not dare to draw a line
    Between the two, where God has not.
    Joaquin Miller

    Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. Thomas A Kempis

    I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand them. Baruch Spinoza

    Consider the hammer-
    It keeps its head.
    It doesn't fly off the handle.
    It keeps pounding away.
    It finds the point and then drives it home.
    It looks at the other side, too, and thus
    often clinches the matter.
    It makes mistakes, but when it does
    it starts all over.
    It is the only knocker in the world
    that does any good.

    The touch of human hands-
    Not vain, unthinking words,
    Not that cold charity
    Which shuns our misery;
    We seek a loyal friend
    who understands,
    And the warmth, the pulsing warmth
    Of human hands. Thomas Curtis Clark

    PRAYER
    Dear Lord of gracious mind and heart, forgive me for the unbearable ways of my arrogance and snobbishness. How unkind of me to think poorly without cause of those about me! Help me realize that a song can be lovely even though I neither wrote nor sang it. Make clear to me that all worthy thoughts did not originate in my mind; that other folk have good manners; and that when I pass away the world will not be bereft of grace and good breeding.
    Allen A. Stockdale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. The prayer is a beautiful reminder of just who we really are, and how we should be. Your opening comments are also appreciated. I do try to remember that I don't know what hell is going on in another head. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my hellish thoughts, haha.

    ReplyDelete